Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Black "mosaic" nail art

Just a quick post for today.  If you've already seen my Harley Quinn nail art post, you've already heard my basic warning about striping tape, which is a large part of this manicure.
You'll need:
Black nail polish
Basecoat (optional)
Clear nail polish (not quick drying)
Topcoat
Striping tape
Chunky glitter
A dotting tool
Clean up brush, acetone, and quick-dry spray
Now, about the "chunky glitter".  I got mine from a jar that was a decoration at a baby shower.  The jar came to me from a relative, so I have no idea what the glitter used in it is.  It's small shards and pieces of gold glitter, that could also be little bits of metal.  If I can ever find this product somewhere on the internet I'll post a link but for now, this is the closest that I can find.
EDIT: Soooooooo....  I was at Walmart the other day, and I saw my "chunky glitter."  They're freaking rock granules, and you use them in vases for either fake or real flowers.  I can't find a link, but I feel like an idiot.  I STUCK ROCKS TO MY NAILS AND WONDERED WHY IT WAS HARD TO REMOVE.
....  I'm an idiot....
Now, you can start with basecoat, but I skipped that step and went straight to taping.

I decided to use straight lines and tape my nails off into four different quadrilateral shapes.  After that, I just went in and painted over the whole  thing with black polish.
Paint two coats of black polish, then use your tweezers to take of the striping tape.

All right, now dump some glitter onto your work surface (I used a piece of parchment paper) and a drop of your clear nail polish.  This was impossible to get a picture of, but using your dotting tool (or end of a bobby pin) pick up a drop of the clear polish and sort of drag it along the lines between the black.  Now, using the slightly sticky bobby pin, pick up ONE piece of glitter, and place it on the line.  From there on, it's basically a game of mosaics.  Try not to go off the edges of your nail, and it's really cool if you fit the pieces together nicely.  However, this will take a very long time.  And by long, I mean two hours from start to finish.  
So, once you're done, apply topcoat, spray, and then start crying when you realize that getting the damned glitter off with acetone/remover will be next to impossible.  (trust me- it is)



Sorry about the cruddy pictures.  These were the only ones that were even remotely decent.  
Until next time!  🀚⛉♙😷😾

No comments:

Post a Comment