Tuesday, April 18, 2017

DIY: Turning styrofoam balls into eggs

Just a quick and slightly odd DIY today.  When I was getting the supplies for yesterdays dragon eggs, I realized that styrofoam eggs aren't actually that easy to find.  Weird, I know.  Especially since Easter just passed.  In any case, I was able to find plenty of styrofoam balls (at JoAnns and Walmart).  I need small eggs for another project, so I decided to pick up a pack of 1-inch styrofoam balls and see if I could reshape them.
Turns out these things can be reshaped.  See?
I started with this....
And ended with this...
No, it's not perfect, but I'm satisfied considering it took no tools and about five minutes.
Start by holding the ball in between your thumb and middle finger like this-
Now press down.  This is the tricky part.  You need to squish the sides in gently.  It may take a few tries, but start gently and increase the pressure until the sides crunch and give a little.
You should end with this.
It kind of has a Death Star look to it, doesn't it?
Rotate it ninety degrees, and squish again.  You now have indentations on four sides.  If you're not already confused, you soon will be!  Now, using your fingers, smooth out the ridges into a nice egg shape by squishing the thing even more!
Of course, it would be easier  to buy the eggs already formed, or if you're handy with a penknife I suppose you could whittle an egg, but if neither work, try squishing it!
I hope this post was helpful to someone out there.  If not, hey, I tried!
Oh, this would probably work on larger styrofoam balls too, but would require more pressure. and you might have to use two fingers to squish with.
Bye!  😝☺

No comments:

Post a Comment